A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411 .I 73(a);
(2) is at least 21 years of age;
(3) has not been convicted of a felony;
(4) is not charged with the commission of a ,Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or of a felony under an information or indictment;
(5) is not a fugitive from justice for a felony or a Class A or Class B misdemeanor;
(6) is not a chemically dependent person;
(7) is not incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun;
(8) has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code;
(9) is fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun;
(10) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general;
(11) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state;
(12) has not been finally determined to be in default on a loan made under Chapter 57, Education Code;
(13) is not currently restricted under a court protective order or subject to a restraining order affecting the spousal relationship, other than a restraining order solely affecting properly interests;
(14) has not, in the 10 years preceding the date of application, been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law of the grade of felony; and
(15) has not made any material misrepresentation, or failed to disclose any material fact, in an application submitted pursuant to Section 411 .I74 or in a request for application submitted pursuant to Section 411.175.
View application requirements and necessary documentation
(2) Register on-line to have your fingerprints taken. Note: you can have your passport photos taken at IndentoGO if you request it when you register online.
(3) Obtain any documents requested by DPS.
(4) Complete both the range and class portion of the CHL course.
(5) Save CHL-100 you receive in class and any documents received from DPS.
(6) Upload or mail required materials to DPS.
Attention Out Of State Applicants
Please be aware that all handgun license courses must be taught in Texas.
The class is divided into two sections. A classroom section and a range proficiency section.
The classroom portion is 4 to 6 hours long and ends with a short 25 question test. Information covered includes:
Legal aspects of concealed carry in Texas
Non-violent dispute resolution
Use of Force and Deadly Force
Proper Firearms Handling and Storage.
Please bring a pen or pencil with you to class. There is a soft drink machine, but if you want coffee, you will need to bring your own.
DO NOT BRING YOUR FIREARM or AMMUNITION into the CLASSROOM. LEAVE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE
Each student will fire a total of 50 rounds at a silhouette target. A score of 175 out of 250 possible points (70 percentile) is required to pass. The shooting will be done from 3 yards (20 rounds), 7 yards (20 rounds) and 15 yards (10 rounds)
Twenty rounds -three yards
Five rounds, -"One Shot Exercise" 2 seconds
Ten rounds will be fired, "Two Shot Exercise" 3 seconds
Five rounds will be fired, 10 seconds
Twenty rounds - seven yards
The first five shots will be fired in 10 seconds.
The next five shots will be fired in 2 stages.
o Two shots will be fired in 4 seconds
o Three shots will be fired in 6 seconds
Five shots - "One Shot Exercise" 3 seconds
The last five shots fired in 15 seconds
Ten rounds - fifteen yards
The first five shots will be fired in two stages.
o Two shots fired in six seconds
o Three shots fired in nine seconds
The last five shots will be fired in fifteen seconds.
Semi-automatic handgun or a revolver (unloaded) of at least .22 caliber – A handgun or revolver can be rented, if requested in advance.
Safety Glasses - Can be provided if you do not have any. Prescription glasses are OK.
Covered Ear Protection - Can be provided
Footwear that covers both entire feet
One box of 50 round ammunition
NO RELOADED HANDLOADED or SURPLUS AMMUNITION ALLOWED. Use commercial ammunition only.